Monday, March 22, 2010

How many times in a day can i explain what my shoes are


It's a bit overdue, but sometimes i forget that i have a blog. However, this day was blogworthy. Not today perhaps, well maybe, hmm. Where do i start. Wednesday.

Wednesday
First Vibram 5 fingers race(s) ever. It was an all comers meet, thus i did all the events that i could. That ended up being 4 because the meet went really fast. First! Was the 4x800, ran a 2:09 800, which isn't bad, but tells me that i need more speed. Then came the mile, my debut event. Walked up to the line in my vibram five fingers, and boy did i get some looks. That was the last thing that anyone expected to be on my feet, and i definitely got a lot of comments. The CHSAA officials were chuckling to themselves, and i overheard them say that they were thinking of getting a pair themselves. The athletes next to me were stupified, and the coaches were convinced that i was running barefoot, and sought to dq me from the race. Nonetheless i won the race in 4:46, a new mile best, and first ever race "barefoot". The race unfolded pretty well, and my feet felt incredible. My first split was 1:10, followed by a 1:13, a 1:13 and a 1:10. Not too shabby for early season. I continued on the meet by racing the 300 meter hurdles, and ran a 46.3, getting me 4th place the first time i had ever ran that. I also wore my vibrams. Then i felt like jumping some more, so i did the triple jump, jumping 35-5, good enough for a 7th place finish in a field of 13 jumpers. I also jumped in my vibrams. Twas a good day, the next good as well.

Thursday

Thursday i decided to head into boulder before the weather took a turn for the worse. I strapped my bike to my car, drove up 4.5 miles up Magnolia road, stashed my bike, then drove down. I then proceeded to run up about 2300 feet in that 4.5 miles where my bike was quietly waiting to carry me back down. It was a leg burner, but felt really good, and i completed the route in 41 minutes. Just 3 more miles and 2000 more feet, and there's mount washington. Lovely.

Friday was my birthday, and it snowed all day which was nice. Saturday was nice as well, and Sunday i taught ski lessons up at Eldora. Good week, now its spring break. Today, i did a speed workout, consisting of 12x200 at 29-30 seconds each, followed by a tabatta workout which is 4 minutes of sprinting for 20 seconds, then walking for 10. Its pretty tough. I'm excited to say now that everything i do is barefoot and in the vibram 5 fingers, and i'm getting a pair of the vibram 5 KSO Treks, which i'm insanely excited for. Snowy trails, here i come!

Random quote of the day:
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

And for kicks, a random picture

No comments:

Post a Comment